HBSPA Minutes March 8, 2012
Attendance: Rachael Caiati, Kristen Libutti, Susan Gunter, Tamara Gruber, Carol Damiano, Kristen Garabedian, Laura Phillips, Brenda Shannon, Molly Mazer, Iris Tong, Sandra Chiang, Michelle Millett, Susan Lillsebbas, Lou Lloyd-Zannini, Jessica Borges
- Dr. Lou and his family extend their sincere thanks for all of the condolence cards, calls and flowers given by the HBS community after the passing of Amelia Zannini.
- Advertising for the current vacant teaching positions in 3rd, 4th, 5th grades, as well as guidance counselor, will be posted in approximately one week. The selection process is rigorous and all positions require a masters degree as well as 2 years of experience.
- Sarah Blessing, school nurse, and Donna Adler, assistant teacher, are expected back from their maternity leaves at the end of this month.
- Upper wing bathroom renovations are being fixed by the contractor to comply with ADA regulations. RIC is providing radiator covers, soap and paper towel dispensers. Hopefully these restrooms will be in use by next week.
- The back lot playground, used by both physical ed and 3-5 graders as play space, will be re-leveled, among other improvements, in order to be better utilized after some excavations required by the College.
- 5th Grade Play was discussed. Sharon Fennessey, 5th grade teacher and playwright, retired in 2011. She had forged many relationships within the College that enabled the 5th grade play to happen and these agreements ceased on her retirement. Beginning with the 2012-2013 school year, both 5th grade teachers will be in permanent positions and a new niche activity will be found to celebrate the students about to graduate from HBS.
- Dr. Lou plans on discussing expanding after school offerings by faculty beginning in the fall. Parents are also welcome to explore the possibility of offering an after school class or activity. Feel free to contact Dr. Lou with your concept and plan: email@example.com
PRESIDENT UPDATES: Michelle Millett first extended a round of thank you’s: to Kim Worrell for organizing another successful 4th Grade Pasta Dinner. Tamara Gruber was also recognized for her work on the new HBSPA website (www.hbspa.org) A vote was taken to approve the expenditure of $120 for the wordpress subscription and spam protection for one year. The website will also be linked through a button on the HBS site. Kristen Libutti is thanked for her work on the dance, including donations of the invitations, paper and time. Marybeth Cannon and Lyn-Su Otto, interventionists, thank the HBSPA for funding their math curriculum.
- Upcoming activities include the HBS School Dance 3/15 Harlem Globetrotters on 4/1.PawSox tickets will be going on sale soon for the 5/27 game. The HBS Chorus will be performing the National Anthem and fireworks will follow the game. Get your tickets early – this is a very popular activity and will sell out quickly!
- There was a proposal for HBSPA funding for a Boy Scout pack sponsored at HBS. By-laws do not permit funding of gender based activities.
- Reading Week will be in April. Events and theme TBA.
- Third Grade Book Sale will begin 4/3. Please feel free to donate your gently used children’s books to the boxes outside of the 3rd grade classrooms.
- A Coffee Hour in the foyer will once again be sponsored by the HBSPA at dropoff on 5/1.
- Teacher Appreciation week is May 7-11. The Teacher Appreciation Luncheon will be 5/8. Please contact Kristen Garabedian (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested in volunteering.
Global Awareness updates were given by Molly Mazer. The Green Team is looking for volunteers for an Earth Day takeaway for students (seed balls created by the children). Please contact Molly at email@example.com if you have questions or would like to volunteer.
Kristen Libutti gave the Children’s Activities updates. The HBS Dance was be 3/15 and 225 tickets were sold.
The Gala Dinner and Auction will be on May at Cafe Nuovo. The tickets are $75/person and will include passed hors d’oeuvres and a seated dinner. Auction donations are being solicited and volunteers needed for the night of the event. Please contact Kristen Libutti (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Lori Jaiswal (email@example.com) if you have an item to donate or would like to volunteer.
Sandra Chiang gave Yearbook Updates. The 2012 Yearbook is nearly completed. Ads are coming in and the deadline for ad payment is 3/30. Space does sell out, so if interested, please contact Sandra at firstname.lastname@example.org Candid photos for the yearbook are also being sought – NO CELL PHONE PICTURES please!
Health and Wellness will be sponsoring a Walk-A-Thon at HBS 3/30. An email and pledge sheet for this fitness fundraiser recently went out.
Volunteer Coordinator Rachael Caiati is working on gathering interested volunteers for HBSPA Board positions for the 2012-2013 school year.
Discussion of creating a new HBSPA Board position relating to Alumni Relations was discussed.
The next HBSPA meeting will be 4/12 at 8 a.m. We hope to see you there!